Management Matters: is a New Article series dealing with the issues that arise when managing personnel and how to optimize your current staff in a company.
Aiming for Success
October 1st, 2006
A successful manager is only as good as the people that work for them. Training employees, fostering working relationships, and completing projects that have the greatest ROI all fall squarely on the shoulders of those in management.
1. Hire good people. Consider personalities along with experience and skills. Retrain existing employees to improve the team.
2. Provide employees with the right tools – computers, software, training, etc.
3. Let your employees explore options when completing a project. Give them guidance, but allow them to work it through themselves.
4. Set high expectations for employees and yourself.
5. Get the job done on time and make sure it’s done right.
6. Plan, plan, plan. And develop a system of checks during the project to make sure everything is on track.
7. Praise in public, correct in private.
8. Don’t ask anyone to do something you’re not willing to do yourself.
9. Communicate with employees, keeping them abreast of any changes.