A good night’s rest is key to a productive day. Many people feel as if they aren’t getting enough sleep. But it’s not always lack of time that is the culprit, it’s the quality of the sleep you are getting. There are a few ways in which you can ensure that you are getting a higher quality rest.
First and foremost it is key that you stick to a schedule. Just as it’s important that kids have consistent bed times, it’s important that you give yourself a bed time. You should also get up at the same time every day. This allows your body to set an internal rhythm, you need to continue this trend even on the weekends, as tempting as staying up late and sleeping in may sound tempting, it will just mess with your sleep schedule for the entire rest of the following week.
Second, sleep only at night. While an afternoon cat nap may sounds incredibly tempting, by sleeping in the day you’re stealing sleep from the night. If you absolutely need to take a nap, limit yourself to a twenty minute power nap.
Exercise during the morning or afternoon. Exercise helps you to sleep soundly as your body needs the rest in order to restore your muscles and joints. At the same time you don’t want to exercise in the evening because you’ll stimulate your body and have a harder time falling asleep.
Take a hot shower or bath before you go to bed. The hot water will help to relax your muscles and clear your head.
Don’t consume food right before bed. Leave a two hour window between your last bite to eat and when you go to bed. That way your body has time to digest the food you consume before you go to sleep.
Avoid caffeine if at all possible. Once you get a good rest you won’t need that extra cup of coffee in the morning.
Try reading before you go to sleep. Books have the power to transport you into an entirely new world allowing your mind to wander away from the stress of your everyday life.. Give yourself a break and escape reality for a bit.
Sleep in a cool environment. People sleep better when they are cool. If you get too chilly with the windows open simply put on a warmer outfit.
Figure out what sounds works best for you at night. For some silence is better, for others a little white noise works best. If you prefer silence try noise cancelling earplugs. If you like soothing noises there are a few devices you can look into. Decide what sound works best for you, whether it’s the sound of the shore or the rain forest keep it consistent.
Don’t drink alcohol before bed. Alcohol may put you to sleep but it will wake you up in the middle of the night and may even cause nightmares.
Robert Boroff Executive Profile Managing Director Reaction Search International
- Uses over 17 years of industry experience to provide clients with proven recruiting strategies that garner results
- Leads a team of Executive Recruiters in fulfilling clients important hiring needs in a time and cost-effective manner
- Keeps abreast of business and market trends in order to effectively consult clients on their hiring requirements
- Skilled at using traditional and contemporary recruiting practices
- Experienced in recruiting for a dynamic mix of industries, including Banking, Biotechnology, Construction, Consumer Products, Finance, Food & Beverage, Healthcare, Human Resources, Information Technology,Insurance,Marketing, and Medical Device, Pharmaceutical, Retail, Sales,Telecommunications executive search & recruitment
- Seasoned in running full-size searches on a national scale that require multiple hirings under time-sensitive schedules
management skills, effective management, employee relations, employee wellness, workplace environment, managing, employee retention
The Executive Search Consultants at Reaction Search International Executive Recruiters Sales successfully placing top performing candidates since 1995