Importance of Cover Letters
While most of us spend hours working hard on creating the perfect resume, there is another document that is just as, if not more, important for professionals. This document is the cover letter.
A cover letter serves as the first impression of you to a potential employer. Essentially it is a sales letter. It sells your resume which therefore sells you. A common mistake made by those searching for a job is either neglecting a cover letter with their resume or writing a poor cover letter.
If you are asked to submit a cover letter with your resume you can expect that your resume will only be read if your cover letter impresses the reader. Imagine potential employers as someone who is in the market for a new house. Your cover letter represents the entire front yard of the house. Needless to say, if the landscaping is in shambles or shingles are falling from the roof there is little chance that the buyer will desire to take a further look inside the house. The same goes for your cover letter. If there are spelling and grammatical mistakes or if your letter fails to strike the reader’s interest, it is unlikely that any prospective employer will care to take a closer look.
In order to achieve the first impression you are looking for, be certain that you are putting the time and effort into writing a cover letter that not only draws the reader’s attention to your resume but that also accurately portrays you. The objective of your cover letter is not only to provide an introduction of yourself but also to provide reason for the reader to continue learning more about you. Listed below are a few important tips to help you get started:
- State the specific position you are applying for and why you are interested in it
- Do your homework and say something about the company
- Explain why your skills, experience, education, qualifications, etc. make you the best candidate
- Emphasize specific points in your resume in which you want to make sure the employer notices
- Follow basic cover letter format guidelines (you can find these simply by searching online)
- Express your interest in taking the next step in the process and setting up an interview
- Always remember to thank the reader for taking the time to read your cover letter and resume
Robert Boroff Executive Profile Managing Director Reaction Search International
• Uses over 17 years of industry experience to provide clients with proven recruiting strategies that garner results
• Leads a team of Executive Recruiters in fulfilling clients important hiring needs in a time and cost-effective manner
• Keeps abreast of business and market trends in order to effectively consult clients on their hiring requirements
• Skilled at using traditional and contemporary recruiting practices
• Experienced in recruiting for a dynamic mix of industries, including Banking,Biotechnology, Construction, Consumer Products, Finance, Food & Beverage,Healthcare, Human Resources, Information Technology,Insurance,Marketing, and Medical Device, Pharmaceutical, Retail,Sales,Telecommunications executive search & recruitment
• Seasoned in running full-size searches on a national scale that require multiple hirings under time-sensitive schedules
management skills, effective management, employee relations, employee wellness, workplace environment, managing, employee retention
The Executive Search Consultants at Reaction Search International Executive Recruiters Sales successfully placing top performing candidates since 1995.